FOUR years ago while I was doing my college, the biggest problem that I faced was of communication. I didn’t know how to talk with my friends and keep the conversation going. We would talk out the formals but never could I take it to a deeper level. At the end of the day, I would part my way towards home after the college got over, residing within me the frustration of not being able to have a good time with my companions. And the thought of that always made me sad. I totally felt like I was the biggest looser in the world. When I think back at it now, all seems like a pleasant memory. It’s because when I stepped out from college after completing the course, I was having a lot of friends who were so sad to part away from me. I had the best time in college and it will always be treasured in my heart – the memories that I had. After my 1st year in college, I overcome my difficulty and spoke with tons and tons of people, which helped me make a lot of friends in the subsequent 3 years.
I know that there are a lot of people like this who are having difficulty to communicate. Trust me, I know how it feels. Not being able to talk with your friends, not being able to make the conversation smooth, not being able to convey your thought properly…… I know how bad it feels.
So how can you have a good conversation and keep it going. Here are some simple steps.
- Start with a firm shake-hand and a pleasant smile.
- Don’t talk the formals (like how are you, how was your day, what’s you plan for today etc.)
3. Talk relevant things that open up a conversation e.g. things that are interesting to both of the people.
4. Avoid trash talking.
5. Listen to them a lot. Make them feel that they are important to you.
6. Know a little about them before you start to talk to them.
7. Do not talk for a lot of time in the first encounter. Increase the talking time subsequently.
8. After you end the conversation, tell them how you felt and make them believe that you are really looking forward to another talk with them.
Image Copyright – google.com